Arepas are certainly not the only gluten-free delight that you can make with precooked corn-flour. These are perfect to serve as an appetizer – but be careful, they are addicting and not low in calories.
These arepa cheese balls (cheeseballs would be more accurate because they are not arepas) are the perfect example of that.
Prep Time: 40 mins
Cook Time: 20 mins
Resting time: 5 mins
Total Time: 1 hr
- 2 cups water, hot
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1½ cups Harina P.A.N. (pre-cooked corn flour for arepas)
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese, or any sharp dry cheese works well
- 3 cups vegetable oil for frying
- In a large bowl, mix water and salt until the salt.
- Slowly add the flour. Until the consistency is similar to play dough. Rest for 5 minutes. Add the grated cheese and continue mixing.
- Heat vegetable oil over medium heat until it reaches 350º F in a deep frying pan.
- Divide dough into balls roughly about half an inch in diameter. Fry them each for two minutes, or until golden. Drain them in a dish lined with paper towels.
- Serve them warm, with nata or sour cream as a dipping sauce - or really, any preferred dipping sauce works!